Thursday, July 10, 2008

Building the Cathedral

If I were to ask you what your line of business is, some of you would answer by giving me the industry you are involved in. Some would answer by telling me the particular job they are doing within that industry. Either way, the real answer to that question is that we are all in the “people” business. Some are reaching people, some are serving people, some are providing stuff for people, and some are shamelessly using people. No matter what you “do” when you walk out the door in the morning, there are other people involved at some level. Some of the people we are involved with are close friends while others are total strangers. Science fiction author and essayist Bruce Sterling said:

“The information economy is not about the information or the economy. Everything important that happens there is about the relationship.”

Our experience in that relationship becomes meaningful when we participate in it. Put me in coach, I want to play! That is the big reason why relationship based websites such as
“facebook” are so popular today.

I read the following account this morning:
“One day while wondering, I came across three bricklayers. I asked the first bricklayer what he was doing.
“laying bricks,” he told me.
I asked the second what he was doing.
“Making a brick wall,” he told me.
I asked the third.
“Building a cathedral,” he explained. “


What is my perception of what I am really doing today?

No comments: