Thursday, August 21, 2008

Life in the fast lane

G.K.Chesterton once said, “
“One of the great disadvantages of hurry is that it takes such a long time.”

G. K. Chesterton


We live in a fast paced world. The question I have been pondering this morning is whether or not a fast pace requires me to be in a hurry. My thought process stems from a paragraph in Mark Batterson’s book, “Wild Goose Chase”. He is writing about the good Samaritan and makes the following observation about the priest and the Levite who passed by:

“Hurry kills everything from compassion to creativity. And when you’re in a hurry, you don’t have time to get out of your routine, do you? No room for Spirit-led spontaneity. No time for Wild Goose chases. Here is the great irony; the priest and the Levite were probably on their way to the temple. They were so busy loving God that they didn’t have time to love their neighbor. And that is when our routines become counterproductive. Let’s be honest. We can get so busy doing “ministry” that we don’t have time for ministry.”

Most of the ministry that happens in our lives is unplanned. We can live in a frustrated state, always in a hurry, or we can take the advice of God found in Psalm 46:10, “Be still and know that I am God”. My schedule demand me to keep a fast pace today, but that does not necessarily mean I have to be in a hurry.

I’ll close my blog this morning with a quote from Winnie the Pooh:

“Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day.”

No comments: