Monday, August 25, 2008

A Physics lesson

I shared a story in my sermon yesterday that illustrates the concept of understanding the reactions of those around us.

“A passenger in a taxi tapped the driver on the shoulder to ask him a question. The driver screamed, lost control of the cab, nearly hit a bus, drove over the curb, and stopped just inches from a large plate glass window.

For a few moments everything was silent in the cab, then the driver said, “Don’t ever do that again. You scared the daylights out of me.” The passenger, who was also frightened, apologized. He said, “I did not realize that a tap on the shoulder would frighten you so much." The driver replied, “I’m sorry, it’s not your fault. Today is my first day driving a cab. For the last 25 years I drove a hearse.”

In the course of the day today we will have opportunity to experience reactions and to react ourselves. Part of the discipline thing in my life is to react positively whenever possible. Hopefully it is more of a pro-act which would indicate an awareness level that would keep me from being caught off guard. No matter how hard I try to avoid them, I still find reactions happening everyday of my life. I remember from physics class that every action has a equal and opposite reaction. Here is a great prayer for the morning:

“Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in Thy sight, O Lord, my rock and my redeemer.”
Psalm 19:14

No comments: