Tuesday, January 6, 2009

What am I saying?

“One of the great discoveries in your life is to find your voice by clarifying your personal values.” That is the first of the ten commandments of Leadership in the “Leadership Challenge” material. I have often told the congregation that it is good for them to hear their own voice expressing praise to God. When I listen to someone else, I am not aware of all the dynamics that went into that statement. When I listen to myself, I know without a doubt if it was said in sincerity or if it is said tentatively.

” This above all:
To thine own self be true,
for it must follow as dost the night the day,
that canst not then be false to any man."
- Shakespeare (Hamlet)


I remember that while in college we had courses that fit in the category of the humanities. The study of the human condition from the standpoint outside of scientific approaches. The analysis that takes into effect the speculation and assumptions. It involves the study of language and culture and what is meant by what is said at the time.

“But above all things, my brethren, swear not, neither by heaven, neither by the earth, neither by any other oath: but let your yea be yea; and your nay, nay; lest ye fall into condemnation.”
- James 5:12


One of my personal goals is to do a better job of listening to myself to see what I am actually saying. If I am successful in reaching that goal , I will make less trouble for myself and hopefully be more helpful to others.

A Blog Benediction:
“ Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.”
-Psalm 19:14

No comments: