Friday, January 16, 2009

Worth the risk

I had the opportunity yesterday to sit with leaders from around the state who are applying innovative leadership principles. Like many of the meetings of this nature that I attend, I was the oldest person in the room. The excitement level around the room was contagious as we discussed ideas that work and some that did not work. There is a need in our lives to experiment and take some risks by constantly generating small wins and learning from mistakes. The person who is afraid of failure will stay in the safety of the nest and miss the things he or she is created to experience. There is an exhilaration that comes from
jumping into the pool from the high board. Once you do it, jumping in from the low board or from the side is no fun anymore. For me, to sit around a table with people who have the faith to make great leaps for the Kingdom of God, stirs me to look for ways to do things bigger and make a greater impact in my community. The temptation to coast looms out there, but the encouragement from God’s word to “Press On” drives me to try new things and go after some new territory.

“Playing it safe is risky”
- Mark Batterson

No comments: