Thursday, February 19, 2009

Is that all that was said ?

As I was reading in the Gospel of Mark this morning I noticed that only 2 small statements were made regarding the temptation of Jesus in the wilderness. An event
that, from our vantage point, is extremely important. I am blessed that Jesus passed that test with flying colors. This blog entry is not to go into the theology of that event but rather to point out that sometimes major events in our lives only seem to get passing mention by those telling our story. It reminds me of the verse in Genesis, where we are learning about creation and the line only says, “…and He made the stars also.” I’m thinking that it was a pretty huge deal. It still is to me when I go out a look at the sky at night. I guess the lesson is that significance is not always tied to long descriptions. Some things have no words to really describe them. The other accounts in the Gospels of the temptation of Jesus in the wilderness are more in depth because of the need for details in those accounts. There are times that I don’t need the details, I just need the facts, and I need to know that there is more involved than I could ask or think. Many years ago we sang a chorus regularly at church:

We've got a great big wonderful God
Great big wonderful God
A God who's always victorious
Always watching over us
Great big wonderful God
We've got a great big wonderful God
Great big wonderful God
A God who loves ev'ry one of us
Done so much for all of us
Great big wonderful God !

No comments: