Tuesday, March 3, 2009

By the lake

I was reading in Mark Chapter 4 in my devotion time this morning. This chapter has always been one of my favorites because in it , Jesus tells the parable of the sower. I always come away from reading that with a desire to be good ground for God to bear fruit. The rocks, thorns and weeds of life can hinder my progress. But this morning I stopped to ponder the setting of that teaching.

Mark 4:1 Once again Jesus began teaching by the lakeshore. A very large crowd soon gathered around him, so he got into a boat. Then he sat in the boat while all the people remained on the shore.

In this age of technology, I am amazed that all the teaching of Jesus to the crowds was done with no microphones or speakers. The picture of Jesus sitting in the boat and teaching tells me it must have been a quiet place or they would not have heard Him. Having grown up in Minnesota, I still find fewer places more peaceful than a quiet lakeshore. There is something about the sound of the water that helps me to hear other things better. Give me a lake to sit by with my Bible early in the morning and I can really get in touch with God. Add the call of a loon on the other side of the lake and I feel like it could be heaven.

I am ready for a trip to the lake.

No comments: