Friday, May 8, 2009

The Bridge

I am really enjoying a book of bridge building stories that is challenging me to do more in outreach to our community. One of the lines that I read this morning tells us why bridges sometimes collapse.

"Bridges involve complicated engineering, delicately and powerfully balancing the often competing physics of tension, compression, shear, and torsion. Most bridge disasters, therefore, have one thing in common: errors in engineering"

Many of my bridge building attempts to reach new areas of the culture around me have fizzled out along the way. I am not a structural engineer. I need to surround myself with some who are. I need people who "get it" when it comes to balancing the physics. In every area of life I have found bridges that need to be crossed. Sometimes they span peaceful valleys with breath-taking quiet beauty and sometimes thay span the troubled waters below. I have crossed the bridge at the Royal Gorge in Colorado and the bridge that crosses the small creek behind our church. They both serve the same result. A way to the other side. Isaac Newton once said, “We build too many walls and not enough bridges.”

The greatest bridge of all is the cross of Jesus Christ that spanned earth and heaven. The master physicist designed it to handle all the traffic man will bring to it. It has no flaws in engineering and it can handle all our weighty load. There is no other bridge

"I am the way... no one comes to the Father, but by me..." -Jesus in John 14:6

No comments: