Tuesday, May 5, 2009

The System

I have watched a video two times now and I am fascinated by the following statement by Andy Stanley:

“There are organizational systems that are conducive to ministry and systems that impede ministry. There are systems that free leaders and systems that hinder leaders.”

If we are failing, it is because of a system problem.

Systems create behaviors. Not talks and environments.

He says that systems trump mission statements. “Statements are hanging on the wall, while systems are happening down the hall.”

So, I wonder what statements I have hanging on the wall of my life that have become outdated because of a broken system? I think it is worth investigating because if I am expecting results that will never happen in my current system of operation, then I am spinning my wheels. It is as though I am sitting in a rocking chair. I have something to do while not getting anywhere. We live in a solar system. We have systems in place all around us. I have found that God has designed a "Service" system that works well only when leadership models service. Jesus washed the feet of the disciples. As I go out the door this morning, I need to be carrying my servant's towel and find places to tap into God's system.

No comments: