Friday, June 5, 2009

Relay for Life

My Blog topic this morning concerns the value of worthy causes. This evening we will participate in “Relay for Life” and we will prayer walk around the track in support of those who are fighting cancer and raising funds to find a cure. This is particularly significant for me this year as I have several friends fighting cancer right now, a couple of whom have recently entered the battle. We will also remember those who have lost their battle with cancer. It is an opportunity to take a stand with thousands of others. Our nation has been in support of worthy causes all through the years. Below is what you will find at the base of the Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor:

Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed, to me:
I lift my lamp beside the golden door.


Here is a quote from Abe Gubegna:

Every day in Africa a gazelle wakes up.
It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be killed.
Every morning a lion wakes up. It knows that it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve to death.
It doesn’t matter whether you are a lion or a gazelle.
When the sun comes up, you better be running.

What are we running toward today?

No comments: