Friday, August 8, 2008

Tooling Along

A quote from Edward De Bono:

“Effectiveness without values is a tool without a purpose”

In my basement and garage, I have several tools that serve no purpose for me. Some of them were purchased for a one time project, some were tools that came with boxes of “stuff” from auctions, and some I found on the street and simple threw them in my tool box. Tools have been a part of my heritage. I still have the first toolbox given to me by my grandfather when I was about 6. In fact, I probably have a dozen tool boxes scattered around, some of which I have not opened for decades. I have one tool that belonged to my great, great, great grandfather. The older I get, the more I realize that I need to separate out the tools that I use ( or likely will use ) from the tools that have no use for me. Some of them might have some antique value such as the lug wrench for the 1930 John Deere Model D or the special screwdriver that came with my new 1971 VW bug.

Life is much like the tool issue. There are things that we keep in our lives that really have no current or future use but were brought into our lives for some reason. Separating the sentimental from the junk has always been a challenge for mankind. The consequence of not doing it is called “clutter”. A garage sale once in awhile helps but then I still go get more at other people’s garage sales to fill the spot on the shelf. I wonder if there is a toolaholic anonymous chapter around here? Hi, My name is Al and I am a toolaholic.

No comments: