Monday, September 22, 2008

Ya gotta love Synergy

One of the Bible verses in my sermon yesterday morning really stuck with me as I went through the day. I am always fascinated by statements of commitment. Anytime someone commits to us in a solid way, it brings warmth to our situation. We can accomplish exponentially more when we are not alone. I am told that a team of oxen can pull amazing loads. The sum of their individual capacities is much smaller than the capability of the team yoked together. It is called synergism. (combined effort being greater than parts.)

“One Oxen can pull 2,000 lbs. Two oxen working separately would pull a total of 4,000 lbs. If you join the oxen together they can pull 10,000 lbs. Their combined forces produce a greater power and effect.”


Jonathan’s armor bearer made a statement to Jonathan about going to take on the much larger Philistine army:

1 Samuel 14:7 "Do what you think is best," the armor bearer replied. "I'm with you completely, whatever you decide."

I have decided to make that my prayer statement to God. It is a prayer of commitment::

“Father, Do what you think is best in my life today. I am with you completely whatever you decide”

With greater potential power comes greater responsibility. The concept of collaborating with God stirs my soul today. You gotta love synergy!

1 comment:

Ruthie Oberg said...

Hmmm...a new perspective. I have always looked at Jonathan's armor bearer and thought about how I can help those around me. Never thought about thinking of myself as God's armor bearer. Good way to look at it!