Thursday, October 2, 2008

Called to grow

A quote from my early morning reading today:

“God never gives us small dreams. If your dream doesn’t scare you a bit, it’s not from God.”

I am reading a book by Bill Easum and Bil Cornelius entitled “Go Big”. In it I found that God prepares us for leadership by growing the church and watching us catch up. If I am so concerned that I make a mistake that I quit trying new things, I will not find that one new thing today that will cause me to grow. The vision that has been planted in my heart is to cast out rather than held in. “Fearing people is a dangerous trap, but to trust the Lord means safety.” (Proverbs 29:25) My vision includes making disciples. It includes personal growth as a life long learning process for me. It is interesting that Nehemiah kept reminding the people why they were building the wall. I find that if I am a listener, God will constantly bear witness (remind me) about why He has called me to my place in ministry. It is not about me it is about Him. If there is one area I have nearly perfected, it is the art of making excuses. Today would be a good day to quit making new excuses and launch or cast out into new fishing spots. When I was in the army, we were not allowed to list excuses as to why we did not follow an order. I should not be offering excuses to God. If He says to jump through the wall, it is my job to jump and His to make the hole.

“Go out to the roads and country lanes and make them come in, so that my house will be full” – Luke 14:23
I think I’ll invite a few more than usual this week. Out of a hundred invitations, some will come.

No comments: