Thursday, October 23, 2008

Knowledge brings influence

I was reading an article this morning written by Lee Strobel about apologetics. He says we need to be able to give an answer for the hope within us and we must be able to do it without being arrogant. There are some things that I know a lot about and some things that I know nothing about but there are many things that I know something about. I have learned in life that I need to understand the principle that I don’t have to know everything to know something. The key is to know my limitations and to be connected with those who know more than I do. If I have been successful, it has usually been because I have been allowed to stand on the shoulders of those who are much smarter than I am. Once they share that knowledge with me, I then have the ability to use it. I still need to humbly understand, however, that just because I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express, I may not be able to perform brain surgery. Sometimes I have just enough information to be dangerous. The danger comes in when I pass myself off as having expertise I do not have. We have all experienced saying “bon Jour” to a French speaking person only to find out that what they said in return was way above our comprehension. We then have to eat the humble pie and explain that once we get beyond “bon jour” we have expanded our knowledge of that subject. I can, however, build a relationship in non verbal ways with that person and little by little learn more of the language and eventually be able to converse at some level. Words are important but relationship goes far beyond words. That is what amazes me about my relationship with God. He knows everything, comparatively I know nothing. I am determined to get to know Him more.

Psalm 118:6 "The LORD is with me; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?"

No comments: