Monday, December 1, 2008

About a year ago I wrote the following about the urgency of finishing strong. I think it is worth repeating as we start the final month of 2008:

"Each day I have to decide who I am working for. I have to decide how to get started and what I am trying to accomplish. The Bible says to do whatever we do with all of our heart, as working for the Lord not for men. I start today with a prayer for motivation. Lord, Help me to be motivated to get started and help my habits be such that I keep going. William Penn said: “He that does good for God’s sake seeks neither praise nor reward; he is sure of both in the end.” Remember that people see our deeds but God sees our motives. ( Proverbs 21:2 ) It is a good thing to stop once in awhile and ask ourselves why we are doing whatever it is that we are doing. I find many times that I have no good answer for that and stop what I am doing and find something that does have purpose. My ego wants to justify always but at times like that my ego is not my friend. Imagine that, your own ego working against you. It has been said that at no time is self-control more difficult than in times of success. When I am doing well, I am needing to be most watchful that I keep on the track and not slip into a mode of looking for praise. The admonition in God’s word is to humbly seek Him.

I need to relook at my motives on a regular basis. About a year ago I wrote the following about the urgency of finishing strong.

"Since motive is what God is really interested in, why I make a decision is really more important than the actual decision. There is, however, the danger of just having good intentions, getting credit for them from others, and not following through with the gusto that we started with. That thought causes me to look back and see what I have been motivated to do but never did. I need to tie that loose end either by doing it or at least explaining (or apologizing) to those affected, that it probably won’t happen. There is a verse in Hebrews Chapter 11 that tells us to finish the race because there are those who can’t finish if we don’t.

“For God had far better things in mind for us that would also benefit them, for they can't receive the prize at the end of the race until we finish the race.”
Hebrews 11:40

Whoa!!! I had better get busy."

No comments: