Friday, January 30, 2009

Between the Uprights

As we go into Super Bowl weekend, we need to be sure we have the goal posts in sight. One of the God traits that has been instilled in us at creation is a vision that includes a view of the city to which we are headed. As in the classic, “Pilgrim’s Progress”, there is in front of us a goal worth pursuing with every ounce of our activity. As the kicker in the football game is focused on those goal posts, we need goal posts to mark the spot that will result in victory. In order to do that, we need to make sure we are focusing on the right goal post uprights. If we miss to the right or to the left, it can mean defeat. Our aim needs to be at the center point. I like to think of the cross of Christ as the cross hairs of the scope. To know Christ is to be poised correctly.

The lyrics written by Michael Frye say it well:

Jesus, be the centre
Be my source, be my light
Jesus

Jesus, be the centre
Be my hope, be my song
Jesus

Be the fire in my heart
Be the wind in these sails
Be the reason that I live
Jesus, Jesus

Jesus, be my vision
Be my path, be my guide
Jesus

No comments: