Monday, January 12, 2009

Sacrifice of our will

Yesterday was week two in the “Service” sermon series. We were learning more about sacrifice and how God has placed that as a key to His plan. Last week we talked about the sacrifice of praise and yesterday it was the sacrifice of our will to His. The Sacrifice of our will requires that we hear the voice of God clearly.

Recently I read the following five prerequisites to hearing the voice of God: These came from the writings of Cheryl Taylor:
1. We must recognize the importance of Seeking God’s voice
2. We must Commit to obeying God’s voice
3. We must Stop long enough to hear God’s voice
4. We must learn to recognize God’s voice
5. We must anticipate hearing God’s voice

There are also the seven ways of knowing God’s will:
1. It will line up with His word
2. Godly counsel will confirm it
3. You will have peace about doing it
4. It calls us to service
5. It will stand the test of time
6. God will give you the ability to achieve it
7. God will be glorified by it.

A life given fully to God is at the heart of true sacrifice.

Romans 12:2
"Do not be conformed to this world but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that you may prove what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect."

We need to learn to allow the Holy Spirit to prevail upon our will, so that we can live according to God's plan for us. The Apostle Paul wrote: "I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me." (Galatians 2:20)

An old Hymn that says it well:

Take my life and let it be; Consecrated, Lord, to Thee;
Take my hands and let them move; At the impulse of Thy love.

Take my feet and let them be Swift and beautiful for Thee;
Take my voice and let me sing, Always, only for my King.

Take my lips and let them be; Filled with messages from Thee;
Take my silver and my gold,Not a mite would I withhold.

Take my moments and my days, Let them flow in endless praise;
Take my intellect and use; Every pow’r as Thou shalt choose.

Take my will and make it Thine, It shall be no longer mine;
Take my heart, it is Thine own, It shall be Thy royal throne.

Take my love, my Lord, I pour At Thy feet its treasure store;
Take myself and I will be; Ever, only, all for Thee.

No comments: