Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Special Places

In the pastorate, many times I am called upon to lead in public prayer. I enjoy doing that but I have found that private prayer is essential also for me. Andrew Murray in his book, “ With Christ in the school of prayer” makes a statement in one of his end of chapter prayers. He asks God to make the place of secret prayer the most beloved spot on earth to him.

As I recall the many places on this earth that I have been allowed to walk, there are many that stand out in one way or another. The fact that all the special places still exist is comforting to me even though many of those places have changed or may be inaccessible for one reason or another. The very spot that I gave my heart to God still is there and although I am unlikely to stand on that spot again it is physically still there. Whether it is the room I was born in, the spot where I caught my first fish, the place where I first spotted Ella as she walked on the sidewalk past the gas station where I was and I asked my friends, ‘WOW! Who was that?”, the spot where my sons took their first steps or the spot where I knelt and was ordained into ministry, it is comforting to know that those spots still exist. Only the “Moment” is gone.

My prayer today is that I will always keep a place in my heart for private time with God and that it would stand as the most beloved spot on earth to me. I urge the same for you.

No comments: