Tuesday, May 19, 2009

The Memorial that comes to us

As I look at the memorials of the Bible, I am convinced that this is a concept God considers very important to us. In the busy-ness of life we move from one thing to the next in such a rapid pace that our history can get lost. I am often reminded of my heritage in the form of many photographs and family keepsakes. I wonder if I am leaving lasting memorials for the generations to come. Many of my photo albums are in digital form on computer and will not last unless I get them in a form that technology will read in the next generation. I believe that is why one of the key memorials that God designed was not in the form of a material item, but in the form of a time item. He called it "The Sabbath". The day of rest that signified the completed act of God. It can be used not only as a rest period but also as a memorial to God's deliverance.

Deuteronomy 5:15 "Remember that you were slaves in Egypt and that the LORD your God brought you out of there with a mighty hand and an outstretched arm. Therefore the LORD your God has commanded you to observe the Sabbath day."

Someone once said that we have memories so that we can have roses in December. Some memorials are set up so that we can go to them, some are carried with us so that we are constantly reminded and some, like the Sabbath, come by us every so often. Our choice is whether or not to recognize and observe it. Obviously, God thinks it is important to us. I think it makes sense to think of every Sabbath day as a memorial.

No comments: