Tuesday, May 26, 2009

The Red White and Blue

I saw lots of red white and blue yesterday as we helped set the flags at the cemetary. We gathered with many volunteers to set over 200 flags in tall poles beside the road for people to drive and walk by as they visited markers, monuments and memories. Each stone maker carrys a life story and having lived here now for 25 years, I know bits of many of those stories. The order of the colors of red, white and blue is significant if we understand spiritual order. To me the red represents salvation, the shedding of the blood of Christ for the forgiveness of my sin. The white stands for purity and holiness. Not that I have attained it in life yet but that under the covering of the blood of Christ, I am clean. The Blue is a good color to picture heaven. Our blessed hope and eternal home.

The flags that we set yesterday each represent a veteran. These flags were then placed back at Vet's Auditorium last night to be displayed. We carefully folded them in proper fashion ( again with many friends and voluteers ). Many of these flags are warn from many years of being displayed. As I read the names on those flags, I felt as though I have a new understanding of Memorial Day.

No comments: