Friday, May 22, 2009

Tonight at midnight we will be celebrating the Lord's Supper with communion as part of our monthly prayer meeting. This will be a fitting way to kick off the Memorial Day weekend by participating in the greatest memorial event of all.

Luke 22:19 And he took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them, saying, "This is my body given for you; do this in remembrance of me."

Our thoughts this weekend and particularly on Monday will be in remembrance of those who have given their lives in the service of our nation, but that honor will fall flat if we fail to understand that the concept of sacrifice was instituted and modeled by God in the giving of His son Jesus Christ as the sacrifice for our sins.

We have two flags in our sanctuary, the Christian flag and the American flag. Between the flags stands the cross. These are standards that we pledge allegiance to.

We will recite the following pledges:

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands. One nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

"I pledge allegiance to the Christian Flag
and to the Savior for whose kingdom it stands.
One brotherhood, uniting all mankind,
in service and love."

Neil Enloe penned the following words in his song "Statue of Liberty":

I'm so glad to be called a Christian,
to be named with the ransomed and whole.
As the statue liberates the citizen,
so the cross liberates the soul.

Oh, the cross is my Statue of Liberty,
it was there that my soul was set free;
Unashamed I'll proclaim that a rugged cross
is my Statue of Liberty."

No comments: