Tuesday, June 30, 2009

An Accurate View

In Francis Chan's book, "Crazy Love", There is wording in chapter one that challenges me to be sure my view of God is accurate. As I study the Word of God I still find areas where God needs to tweak my understanding of His nature. God has gifted people in our generation to help communicate some of these principles. As with any writing, I recommend you compare it with Scripture before accepting it. I feel like Chan's book passes that test. Here is a paragragh from the book that I really like:

The Bible calls us to live our lives. It is
important that we not measure our spiritual health by the people around
us, who are pretty much like us.To begin this journey, we’ll first address
our inaccurate view of God and, consequently, of ourselves. But before we look at what is wrong and address it, we need to understand something. The core problem isn’t the fact that we’re lukewarm, halfhearted, or stagnant Christians. The crux of it all is why we are this way, and it is because we have an inaccurate view of
God. We see Him as a benevolent Being who is satisfied when people manage to fit Him into their lives in some small way. We forget that God never had an identity crisis. He knows that He’s great and deserves to be the center of our lives. Jesus came humbly as a servant, but He never begs us to give Him some small part of ourselves. He commands everything from His followers.


I have decided that God deserves better than just the leftovers of my life. I am giving Him the main course.

I feel like singing the old chorus that rings in my heart:

I have decided to follow Jesus
I have decided to follow Jesus
I have decided to follow Jesus
No turning Back, No turning back

Tho none go with me still I will follow
Tho none go with me still I will follow
Tho none go with me still I will follow
No turning bach, no turning back

The world behind me the cross before me
The world behind me the cross before me
The world behind me the cross before me
No turning back, No turning back

No comments: