Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Being Intentional

One of my thoughts in my morning devotion time today was “Being Intentional”. It is helpful in my organization of life to have good intentions. In themselves, they aren’t worth much but when connected to real movement and plans, they become highly valuable and guide our thinking. Kind of like the capacitor in the electric circuit that holds energy until it is connected, or the battery sitting on the shelf that has the potential if we connect it to something. Taking those intentions and placing them into the circuit of my life will force me to make those intentions fit the culture of my community. I must resist the temptation to do nothing. Part of good leadership is doing the things I know are right but would rather not do. For example, preaching would really be easy for me if I could only preach on grace. Sometimes I must preach about suffering if I desire the best for the congregation. My intention needs to go far beyond keeping life easy, it must be keeping life energized and useful.

“Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.”
- Philippians 3:12-14

No comments: