Friday, July 18, 2008

Fully Engaged

“Our first task is to listen for God’s call to us, not respond to His call to others.”
- Stetzer and Putman in the book, “Breaking the Missional Code”

As a pastor, I have a need to be fully engaged in my own walk with God before I can be of any real help to someone else in their walk. I cannot respond to God for them any more than I could take someone else’s place in life. One of the great principles of our being is this individual identity that we all have. When we all gather, there is a community but we remain as individuals. I can visit with you and learn about your call but I cannot respond to your call for you. I can, however, walk with you as you respond to your call. That excites me because I know that the real joy in life comes from doing what you are called to do. I like being around people who have that kind of joy. In fact, I have found that a wonderful part of my calling is to walk with people who are “responding”. Others walk with me through my call. I am not called to do ministry alone any more that anyone else is. It is good to not have to walk alone.

From the Rogers and Hammerstein Musical, Carousel” comes this song:

When you walk through a storm
Keep your chin up high
And don't be afraid of the dark.
At he end of the storm
Is a golden sky
And the sweet silver song of a lark.

Walk on through the wind,
Walk on through the rain,
Tho' your dreams be tossed and blown.Walk on, walk on
With hope in your heart
And you'll never walk alone,
You'll never walk alone.

Take a look at who you are with today.

No comments: