Thursday, July 17, 2008

It's not Rocket Science

“In the midst of complexity, people want to find simplicity. They long for it, pay for it, and even dream of it.”
- from the book “Simple Church” by Thom Rainer and Eric Geiger.

I have always been a fan of the simplifying process. Anytime I can do the “boil it down to something I can understand” thing, I become more efficient. Obviously, I am not alone in this as the “___________ for dummies” books have become popular for almost every topic. Through the years, I have learned that one of the keys to simplification is eliminating stuff that muddies the waters. In so doing, the process becomes clearly stated and understandable to even me. The obvious next step is to connect the dots or at least recognize that there are connections that are already in place. If the connection has already been made, I do not need to take time to develop a connection. I have spent too much time trying to “re-invent the wheel” when someone else has already done that. It is cheaper and easier to head down to Walmart and buy a wheel for my project. With the wheel in place, I have made movement possible. Now that clarity and movement are there, I just need to work on alignment and focus which will be great topics for the “Help! I’m rolling, now what do I do?” life lesson.

No comments: