Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Marching Orders

For many years my daily schedule includes a time of Bible reading in a pace that gets me through the Bible in a year. Although I have read all these scriptures many times, certain places still cause me to stop and chew thoroughly before swallowing. One such place is Jeremiah chapter 1. In the call of Jeremiah I find God handing him his concise orders and leaving no doubt as to the direction of the call.

The Call of Jeremiah Chapter 1:
4 The word of the LORD came to me, saying,
5 "Before I formed you in the womb I knew [a] you,
before you were born I set you apart;
I appointed you as a prophet to the nations."
6 "Ah, Sovereign LORD," I said, "I do not know how to speak; I am only a child."
7 But the LORD said to me, "Do not say, 'I am only a child.' You must go to everyone I send you to and say whatever I command you. 8 Do not be afraid of them, for I am with you and will rescue you," declares the LORD.
9 Then the LORD reached out his hand and touched my mouth and said to me, "Now, I have put my words in your mouth. 10 See, today I appoint you over nations and kingdoms to uproot and tear down, to destroy and overthrow, to build and to plant."


I believe God takes that kind of notice to every person. I am glad my call is different than Jeremiah’s call, but is it really? Everything stated in that call can be applied in some way to our lives. Indeed we have been set apart by God to “bloom where we are planted”. We must master the art of speaking forth the Word of God and daring to go anywhere, knowing that God is with us and will rescue us. We too have an appointment with our world that involves tearing down the old and building the new.

Go for it!!!

No comments: