Monday, November 10, 2008

The meeting greeting

I was reading this morning out of the book of Romans. I was encouraged by words of the Apostle Paul in his exhortation to be busy for the Kingdom.

Romans 12:9-11 Don't just pretend to love others. Really love them. Hate what is wrong. Hold tightly to what is good. Love each other with genuine affection, and take delight in honoring each other. Never be lazy, but work hard and serve the Lord enthusiastically.

So much of what we do has an ulterior motive. I really do not want people to wonder if I really love them. I need to find ways to take delight in honoring them. After all, it is no accident that we have crossed paths today. Not to over spiritualize it, but I am a believer in the “divine appointment” concept at some level for everyone I meet. Something positive can be left behind or picked up at every meeting. Even a nod of the head or a friendly wave can impact a person’s life. Where ever possible, use the other person’s name when you meet them. Using their name in you greeting to them takes the meeting to a whole new level. If you say “Hi” to me and just walk by, it is just a passing moment. If you say “Hi Al” to me, you have my attention and the greeting was much more significant. Remember:

“Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference.”
Winston Churchill

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good blog today and I totally agree. I like to hear people use my name. Makes me feel like they are really noticing me and willing to spend time with me, even if it is only a couple minutes. It does change your outlook, sometimes on your whole day, sometimes on that person, and sometimes just for myself. hey, I am "somebody."