Monday, December 22, 2008

Agreeing with God

Every year, one of my prayer requests at Christmas is that I might find a perspective of Christmas to ponder for a life lesson. This year I have been appreciating one of the quotes of Mary after she was told by the angel about her selection as the mother of the Christ child. It had to be an amazing moment as the angel talked with her explaining the situation. Normally when looking for Mary’s response we look at the Magificat in Luke 1:46-47:

"Oh, how my soul praises the Lord. How my spirit rejoices in God my Savior!...”

But prior to that she made a statement that I need to make everyday.

Luke 1:38 Mary responded, "I am the Lord's servant. May everything you have said about me come true."

It is really one of those statements that doesn’t need saying because everything that God says is going to happen, will happen. There are things that God says that He wants to happen that may not happen ,such as His desire for everyone to come to faith and be saved. We know that because of free will, man can choose to reject God’s offer and indeed many do reject it. But the things that God says will come to pass, are a done deal for our lives.

When I pray like Mary did and say, “Be it unto me as you have said.”, I am hearing myself accept God’s sovereignty and agreeing with God. Any time I agree with God , He does something in my heart. Those heart “operations” are key to my quality of life and my expectations for eternity.

May we all enter into agreement with God this Christmas

No comments: