Monday, February 16, 2009

Abandoning our hearts to God

Some sermon notes from yesterday about loving God and loving people:

“In knowing and loving God, I am released to a measure of supernatural love that is unattainable apart from God."
- Bill Johnson

Anyone who is completely abandoned to God should love others more than they thought possible

Passion for God gives birth to passion for other things. These things should not be viewed as in competition with or separate from our devotion to God.

In the wake of our passion for God, Passion for other things is created. In showing our love for those things we prove and manifest our love for God.

When God is Number One, There is no Number 2


1 John chapter 4 tell us several times that God is love

Love is evidence of our salvation.
2 Peter 1:4 And because of his glory and excellence, he has given us great and precious promises. These are the promises that enable you to share his divine nature and escape the world's corruption caused by human desires.
Our love for others makes God’s love real and visible to them.
It also makes God real and personal to us.
Experience that love in your heart by sharing it with others.
As you mature in your love for God, you realize that you have nothing to fear for God has everything under control. You trust those you love.
In order to love the way God expects us to we need to develop a friendship with God.
Proverbs 3:32 says “He offers friendship to the Godly”

You are as close to God as you choose to be.



God is not bothered by frankness, in fact He encourages it. The scriptures are full of examples of God listening patiently.

Abraham about the destruction of Sodom
David’s accusations of betrayal and abandonment
Job vented bitterness

God told Job’s friends, “You haven’t been honest with me or about me- not the way my friend Job has…My friend Job will now pray for you and I will accept His prayer.

Great opportunities may come once in a lifetime but small opportunities surround us every day.

I need to choose to value what God values. ( that’s what friends do.)

Going after that kind of friendship with God requires a determined purpose to understand and know Him. Perceiving and recognizing the wonders of His person more strongly and more clearly.

You stood before creation
Forever within Your hand
You spoke all life into motion
My soul now is in His hand

You stood before my failure
Carried the Cross for my shame
My sin went upon Your shoulders
My soul now is in His hand (?)

So what can I say
What can I do
But offer this heart O God
Completely to You

I walk upon salvation
The Spirit of light in me
My soul to declare Your promise
My life in Your hands

So I'll stand
With arms high and heart abandoned
In awe of the One who gave it all

So I'll stand
My soul Lord to You surrendered
All I am is Yours

No comments: