Thursday, August 27, 2009

Full Throttle

Recently I found that my car was running sluggishly. I can't imagine why since I only had about 190,000 miles on since I have had a tune up. The new spark plugs and wires changed my engine from a sputtering "clunker" to a purring lion. Why did I wait so long? I think it was because of what I call the "deceptiveness of the gradual". I got used to having low power level and inefficiency. Each day was a little worse but I didn't notice it. I forgot how it felt to run well. Now that I have been reminded of what it is like to be able to go full throttle, I have decided to maintain at the higher level.

I have also found that my spiritual life can have the same problems. I can get stuck in a sluggish gear and unless I pop the hood and let the master mechanic have His way, I waste energy and time on my journey. Time is too precious to allow that. My daily spiritual tune up needs to have priority. The Word of God and prayer will keep me from sputtering through life. His real power will propel me past my shortcomings and difficulties. God still offers "full service". Don't drive past the station entrance.

No comments: